Pre-calculus - Common Core (2444) CA
Pre-calculus - Common Core (2444) is a full-year, high school credit course that is intended for the student who has successfully mastered the core algebraic and conceptual geometric concepts covered in the prerequisite courses: Integrated Math I-III – Common Core. The course primarily focuses on the skills and methods of analytic geometry and trigonometry while investigating further relationships in functions, quadratics, probability, and number theory.
Upon successfully completing the course, the student should have mastered the following concepts:
- Use the unit circle to extend the domain of trigonometric functions to include all real numbers.
- Develop understanding of the radian measure of an angle, graph trigonometric functions, derive and apply the Pythagorean identity.
- Create inverses of trigonometric functions and use the inverse functions to solve trigonometric equations that arise in real-world problems.
- Apply trigonometry to general triangles, derive the trigonometric formula for the area of a triangle and use the Laws of Sines and Cosines to solve problems.
- Prove and use addition, subtraction, double, and half-angle formulas to solve problems.
- Perform operations on matrices, use matrices in applications, and use matrices to represent and solve systems of equations.
- Derive equations of conic sections (parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas) and solve systems of a linear and quadratic equation in two variables.
- Apply understanding of complex numbers and their operations through graphical representations.
- Perform operations on vectors and use the operations to represent various quantities.
- Extend study of probability by computing and interpreting probabilities of compound events.
- Calculate expected values and use them to solve problems and make informed decisions.
In addition to the default course program, Pre-calculus includes alternate tests and performance tasks for use in addressing individual needs. Pre-Calculus Supply List:Supplies needed to complete most lessons, assessments, and tasks throughout this course:
- Scratch paper and pencils
- Coordinate Graph Paper
- Polar Graph Paper
- Scientific Calculator