M/J Grade 8 Pre-Algebra
Pre-Algebra is an introductory algebra course designed to prepare junior-high school students for Algebra 1. The course focuses on strengthening needed skills in problem solving, integers, equations, and graphing. Students will begin to see the "big picture" of mathematics and learn how numeric, algebraic, and geometric concepts are woven together to build a foundation for higher mathematical thinking.
By the end of the course, students will be expected to do the following:
- Gain an increased awareness of how math is a life skill.
- Understand how math is like a language, with a set of conventions.
- Explore concepts taught in previous math courses at higher levels and in real world applications.
- Practice algebraic thinking in order to model and solve real world problems.
- Utilize new skills and concepts that will help them in future math courses.
- Introduce variable expressions and equations (single and multiple variable).
- Introduce linear functions, relationship between dependent and independent variables and coordinate graphing.