Math 500 is a full-year elementary math course focusing on number skills, numerical literacy, and geometric concepts. In it, students will gain solid experience with number theory and operations, including whole numbers, decimals, and fractions. In addition, students will develop their understanding of measurement and two- and three- dimensional figures. This course also integrates mathematical practices throughout the units, as well as introducing students to algebraic, statistical, and probability concepts.
By the end of the course, students will be expected to do the following:
- Perform all four operations on whole numbers and decimals (to hundredths).
- Perform addition and subtraction of fractions and mixed numbers with like and unlike denominators.
- Understand place value of decimal numbers (to thousandths).
- Evaluate expressions for given values and plot whole number ordered pairs on coordinate grids.
- Represent and interpret data on line plots, stem-and-leaf plots, line graphs, and bar graphs.
- Convert units of measurement within a given measurement system.
- Classify plane shapes and calculate their perimeter and are