Introduction to Careers in Finance
The Introduction to Careers in Finance course provides the fundamentals of the financial services industry in the United States and explores the jobs and career opportunities that the industry offers.
Unit 1 introduces the financial services industry and the financial systems that operate in the US and internationally.
Unit 2 examines securities markets and investment companies, looks at how companies evaluate and mitigate risk, and discusses the valuation of stocks and bonds.
Unit 3 discusses the roles and responsibilities of corporate finance and accounting, analysis of financial statements, capital budgeting, and capital structure.
Unit 4 focuses on banking services, including how the industry is organized and regulated and how risks are managed.
Unit 5 looks at the insurance industry, including how it is organized and regulated, how it addresses risks, and the career opportunities it offers.
- Explain the financial system.
- Evaluate career opportunities in financial services.
- Describe the role of intermediaries in finance.
- Examine and define the key agencies governing US banking and securities industries.
- Characterize the impact of international finance on US financial system regulations.
- Review the attributes of a well‐functioning financial system.
- Evaluate the role of regulatory bodies in ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Identify the importance of transparency in the financial system.
- Identify different types of securities and markets.
- Describe how diversification works with risk and return.
- Discuss how to analyze a bond for investment purposes.
- Describe, compare, and apply the main techniques used for equity valuation.
- Analyze the methods used to assess the value of a futures contract.
- Discuss the roles and responsibilities of corporate finance.
- Create a framework to understand the analysis of financial statements.
- Describe how money grows over time when invested through compounding.
- Identify issues affecting the cost of capital.
- Describe the elements of a company’s capital structure.
- Explain how a company can use its profits to increase its value.
- Describe the nature, structure, and functions of banking firms.
- Explain how banks mitigate their risks.
- Describe the role of the Federal Reserve in supporting banks.
- Summarize the nature and types of risks faced by businesses and how they use insurance to manage those risks.
- Explain nontraditional risks and how companies address them.
- Summarize the types of jobs and careers offered by insurance companies.
- Discuss the role of state insurance commissioners in regulating insurance companies.