Engineering and Product Development
This course provides an overview of the concepts of product engineering and development. Students will analyze the life cycle of a product to prepare a product for distribution and for target markets. The course begins with building an understanding of the product life cycle, from the initial idea to drafting requirements to using 3-D modeling tools and other design tools. The final unit focuses on assembling the pieces within a project plan to achieve a product and evaluating the plans for a successful product launch. In addition, the course will provide information about the different careers available to students interested in engineering, product development, and project management.
- Introduction to Engineering and Product Development: Students learn about engineering and the stages of the product development life cycle.
- Project Charter and Requirements: Students learn about phases in the product development life cycle including entrance and exit criteria and deliverables.
- Design and 3-D Modeling: Students learn about design, 3-D modeling and engineering design careers.
- Product Launch: Students explore product launch, implementation plans and preparations for marketing and distribution of a product.
- Review Full Product Development Life Cycle: Students learn about incorporating the engineering deliverables and components to prepare and assemble a project plan that represents a full product life cycle.