United States Government
United States Government introduces students to different government systems, reviews the history of American government, and provides an overview of the current state of government in the United States. Students will learn about America's founding documents, the three branches of the federal government, America's political parties and electoral system, as well as state and local governments.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to do the following:
- Understand the basics of various philosophies of government
- Understand the structure and functions of the United States government and how the principles and values of American democracy are reflected in American constitutional government.
- Understand how the overall design, as well as specific features of the U.S. Constitution, prevent the abuse of power by using a system of checks and balances (e.g., federalism).
- Understand the role of political parties and the public on the political process.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of state and local governments.