Transportation and Tours for the Traveler
Welcome to Transportation and Tours for the Traveler! This course looks at transportation and package tours. During this course, you will learn about the package tour industry today, the travel industry professionals, and the package tour customers. You will find out who tour operators have to work with to create travel products and what kinds of decisions they have to make in terms of meal, lodging, attractions, and, of course, transportation. You will read about how a tour operator plans and markets a tour and discover what happens before the tour, during the tour, and after the tour. Finally, you will learn about how technology, events like 9/11 and the global recession, and increased environmental awareness are affecting the travel industry today.
By focusing on all of the different components that go into creating a tour, you will be able to get a sense of what working for a tour operator really entails as well as what other careers are available in the tour industry. Having this perspective will help you better understand the process you undergo as you plan your own vacations and give you the background to feel comfortable entering the tour industry.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To provide students with an understanding of how the tour industry is organized
- To introduce the suppliers that tour operators must partner with and consider how best tour operators can foster positive working relationships with them
- To learn how package tours are created
- To understand how tours are marketed and promoted
- To examine how tour operators arrive at prices for their products
- To understand exactly how a tour operator prepares for, executes, and reflects on a tour
- To critically think about current issues in technology and society that affect the tour industry
- To improve students' oral and written communication skills
- To improve students' critical thinking skills
It is essential that you have access to a computer and the internet for this course. You will also need to visit and establish good relationships with several travel agents and other local organizations that serve tourists in order to complete many of the assignments.