Science and Mathematics in the Real World
Science and mathematics are part of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) multi-dimensional strategy that can effectively sustain our twenty-first century knowledge-based economy. STEM careers provide a wide variety of opportunities to understand and address global issues. The most pressing issues of this generation include overpopulation, environmental degradation, pollution, and global warming. These are all subjects of intense and dedicated research by STEM professionals in very diverse fields.
In this course, students will focus on how to apply science and mathematics concepts to the development of plans, processes, and projects that address real world problems, including sustainability and “green” technologies. This course also highlights how science and mathematics and the applications of STEM will be impacted as a result of the development of a greener economy.
The course exposes students to a wide variety of STEM applications and to real world problems from the natural sciences, technology fields, and the world of sports, and emphasizes the diversity of STEM career paths. The importance of math, critical thinking, and mastering scientific and technological skill sets is highlighted throughout. Challenging and enjoyable activities provide multiple opportunities to develop critical thinking skills and the application of the scientific method, and to work on real world problems using STEM approaches.
- In this course, students will learn about the many applications of STEM to real world problems. Using examples from a variety of STEM fields ranging from meteorology to sports medicine, students will learn about how STEM career paths provide opportunities for meaningful and challenging work. After completing this course, students will understand the STEM fields and the contributions made by professionals in these careers and will be prepared to begin to develop the specialized skill sets that will launch a successful STEM career.
- Students will finish this course with an understanding of the basic scientific, mathematical, and technical skills that are necessary for success in virtually all STEM fields. Each student will develop his or her understanding of the scientific method, critical thinking, and applied math and science during the course. Additionally, students will develop their understanding of global issues such as environmental change and global poverty and will enhance their understanding of the interconnected nature of today’s global society. STEM fields play an important role in generating answers to many of the most pressing problems faced around the globe today. Students will learn about sustainability and how the STEM fields can be applied to generate sustainable, holistic solutions to global challenges.
For this course, students should know the following:
- Science and mathematics provide a myriad of opportunities for challenging, rewarding, and lucrative careers in the STEM fields.
- STEM career paths develop out of a combination of academic and professional experience.
- STEM provides effective tools to generate solutions to real world problems.
Students should have the following:
- An ability to access the Internet in order to review videos, articles, and additional educational materials provided throughout the course
- An ability to work in group settings