Principles of Technology and Engineering
The Principles of Technology and Engineering course will introduce students to the field of engineering and the types of technology that can result from the engineering design process. Student will also gain an understanding of the career options available in this field, and the skills, education, and experience needed to obtain these careers. Students will learn how to be successful problem solvers. They will become familiar with the steps in the invention process and will investigate the ways in which engineers take an idea from an initial concept to a working technology. They will learn about real-world examples of engineering innovations, including global civil engineering projects, cutting-edge medical technology, and environmentally friendly designs. Students will also learn about the relationship between engineering, science, and technology. They will learn how scientific knowledge is applied to create technology that benefits society. Additionally, students will learn how design modifications can be made based on an analysis of the underlying principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and the earth sciences.
- The Role of Engineering Design in Society and the Economy: Students learn about the steps of the engineering design process and how an engineer takes a technology from an initial concept to a functional prototype.
- The Science and Careers of Engineering: Students explore the relationship between science, technology, and engineering. They also learn about the various engineering career options and the educational requirements for each.
- Engineering and the Environment: Students discover the positive and negative impact that engineering can have on the environment. They also learn about environmentally friendly engineering designs.
- International Innovation: Students learn about some of the most famous engineering designs from Asia and Europe. To better appreciate these designs, they also learn about the fundamentals of car engine design, the requirements for structural stability, and the critical features of bridge design.
- Biomedical Engineering: Students explore the field of biomedical engineering and technological advances that can prolong life, improve the quality of life, and help doctors better diagnose their patients.