M/J Intensive Language Arts
M/J Intensive Language Arts (MC) continues to build on the sequential development and integration of communication skills in four major areas—reading, writing, speaking, and listening. It most specifically focuses on deepening and furthering students' understanding in the following ways:
- Reading develops students' reading skills, including the identification of main ideas, supporting details, and sequence; teaches students how to reach logical conclusions; shows students how to identify parts of speech in sentences, with emphasis on adjectives, pronouns, verb types; and word choice; helps students develop basic literary comprehension skills through the reading of biographical and autobiographical pieces, poetry, character analyses, and the newspaper
- Writing develops students' understanding of the key concepts of writing, providing hands-on experience with coordination, tone, word-choice, and punctuation; develops students' vocabulary and spelling skills; gives students the opportunity to develop their abilities in writing paragraphs, speeches, short stories, short biographies, summaries, and poetry.
- Speaking teaches skills that enable students to become effective speakers and communicators, weaving the skills together throughout the course.
- Listening teaches effective listening comprehension skills, weaving these together throughout the lessons; builds upon students' study skills
- Reading Comprehension Skills
- Grammar and Usage
- Literature Studies
- Speaking and Listening