M/J Health 1
An introductory course into health studies, this course covers the basics of nine areas of health concerns. These areas include basics of body systems and aging, where health information comes from, and what factors influence health. After learning the basics the student will learn to build their own health goals, learn how others can affect their health and the basics in health safety. The course wraps up with basics in emergency care, being health aware and being a health advocate.
Health 1 as a curriculum introduces students to the concepts of what good health is, why good health is important, and what students should do in order to achieve good health.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate an awareness of health as it applies to their own bodies, minds, and emotions.
- Demonstrate an awareness of health as it applies to their living environments.
- Identify the components of a healthy lifestyle and set reasonable goals to achieve a lifestyle of wellness.
- Understand that incorporating sound health practices creates a lifestyle of moderation and wellness.
- Describe health as it applies to broader society, the world, and their own responsibility to stimulate good health around them.
- Demonstrate health safety measures as they apply to home, driving, substances, and health care.
- Understand how relationships can affect health and learn how to care for and maintain them.
- Understand where health information can come from and how it can influence health choices.