M/J Grade 6 Mathematics
M/J Grade 6 Mathematics is a full-year elementary math course focusing on number skills and numerical literacy, with an introduction to rational numbers and the skills needed for algebra. In it, students will gain solid experience with number theory and operations, including decimals and fractions. This course also integrates ratio relationships and proportional reasoning throughout the units, as well as introduces students to geometric and statistical concepts.
By the end of the course, students will be expected to do the following:
- Perform all four operations, including division, on whole numbers, decimals, and fractions.
- Convert between fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Represent ratio and rate relationships using tables of equivalent ratios, double number line diagrams, tape diagrams, equations, and the coordinate plane.
- Solve ratio and rate problems using proportional reasoning.
- Calculate perimeters and areas of regular plane shapes and calculate surface area and volume of right prisms.
- Use the number line to find the absolute value or the opposite of a rational number.
- Simplify variable expressions and solve one-step equations.
- Plot ordered pairs on the coordinate plane.
- Represent data on statistical graphs, including histograms, dot plots, and box plots.