Mathematics Grade 8 (3112) VA
Mathematics Grade 8 (3112) VA is an introductory algebra course designed to prepare junior-high school students for Algebra I. The course focuses on strengthening needed skills in problem solving, integers, equations, and graphing. Students will begin to see the "big picture" of mathematics and learn how numeric, algebraic, and geometric concepts are woven together to build a foundation for higher mathematical thinking.
- The Real Number System: Students will explore the real number system and understand how to simplify expressions and formulas to make computations easier.
- Modeling Problems in Integers: Students will translate and solve one-step equations, or two-step equations in context, and check solutions for reasonableness, using the order of operations, and by substituting values for variables.
- Modeling Problems with Rational Numbers: Students will add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals, fractions, and mixed numbers with variables, likes, and unlike denominators to solve one and two-step word problems.
- Functions and Algebra: Students will identify the parts of a line or quadratic equation and be able to graph it and solve multi-step equations.
- Measurement and Geometry: Students will explore relationships between sets of lines and the angles they create, understand and use the Pythagorean theorem. Students will determine how to calculate areas of common polygons, identify different transformations and how to determine the type and original image location.
- Solid Figures: Students will calculate surface area and volume of different objects and solve for missing measures of 3 di mensional figures when given surface area or volume and explain the relationship between surface area and volume.
- Data Analysis and Probability: Students will construct and interpret box-and-whisker plots and scatter plots, construct the best display of the information, and determine if events are dependent or independent.