Mathematics 700 is designed to prepare junior-high students for Pre-algebra. This course focuses on strengthening needed skills in problem solving, number sense, and proportional reasoning. It also introduces students to integers, equations, and geometric concepts. Students will begin to see the "big picture" of mathematics and learn how numeric, algebraic, and geometric concepts are woven together to build a foundation for higher mathematical thinking.
By the end of the course, students will be expected to do the following:
- Gain an increased awareness of how math is a life skill.
- Understand how math gives us different ways to model or express the same thing.
- Explore concepts taught in previous math courses, but at higher levels, applying the concepts to real world situations.
- Use proportional reasoning in order to model and solve real world problems.
- Utilize new skills and concepts that will help them in future math courses.