Introduction to Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security
Law enforcement, public safety, corrections and safety professionals work daily to keep our cities and communities safe. There are few careers paths in the United States that can be as rewarding, challenging and important as a career in legal, public safety, corrections or security fields. The sacrifices and challenges faced by these selfless individuals is virtually unparalleled by any other profession outside of the armed forces. Whether it be keeping innocent people from harm, bringing justice to victims, fighting fires, saving people from danger or ensuring evil-doers are locked away. These career fields offer great opportunities to those who choose to work in them.
Life in the twenty-first century would not be possible without police officers, paramedics, firefighters, attorneys, corrections officers or security guards. In this course, you learned about the many careers that exist within the fields of law, law enforcement, public safety, corrections, and security. Besides learning about the training and educational requirements for these careers, you learned about the history of these fields and how they developed to their current state. You also learned how these careers are affected by and affect local, state and federal laws. Finally, you learned about the relationships between professionals in these fields and how collaborations between professionals in these careers help to create a safer, more stable society.
- Analyze and interpret the differences between the public sector criminal justice system and private security.
- Understand the duties of the various career paths in the legal, public safety, corrections and private security fields.
- Recognize and be able to apply the different laws and regulations affecting the legal, public safety, corrections and private security fields.
- Develop the requisite interpersonal, conflict resolution and communication skills and critical thinking skills that are required to have successful careers in an ever-changing economic, technological, political, and social environment.
- Understand regulations and policies relating to human resource management, technologies, and sustainability to maintain safe and productive work environments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of legal, public safety, corrections and security practices.
- Apply analytical methods to understand the process of gathering and utilizing intelligence in crime prevention and providing security services.
- Understand the evolution of public safety in the United States.
- Recognize the different regulations and requirements required to obtain employment in the legal, public safety, corrections and private security fields.
For this course, students should know that:
- there are many available careers in the law enforcement, public safety, corrections and security fields;
- these careers have diverse career paths that combine educational and physical requirements with high standards for training; and
- these careers are directly impacted by local, state and federal laws.
Students should have:
- the ability to access the Internet; and
- the ability to work in group settings.