Introduction to Careers in Education and Training
The Introduction to Careers in Education and Training course will introduce students to the field of education and training, and the opportunities available for early‐childhood care, primary school, secondary school, higher education, vocational training, and adult and continuing education. The students will gain an understanding of the career options available in teaching, administrative work, and support services. They will also explore the education and background experience needed to succeed in these careers.
Students will learn about the evolution of the modern educational system in the United States, and the policies and laws that govern educational institutions. They will also discover the similarities and differences between the ethical and legal obligations of working with adults versus working with children.
Students will learn about the skills needed to be effective communicators. They will also learn how to differentiate between different types of learning theories, and they will explore how to implement current principles from educational psychology into the classroom.
Students will also learn how to create a safe and healthy learning environment. They will discover the federal laws and agencies that set health‐and‐safety standards, and they will learn how these regulations are enforced in the workplace. The objective of this course is to introduce the student to the field of education and training, and to explain the career opportunities that are available in this field.
- Apply communication skills with students, parents, and other groups to enhance learning and a commitment to learning.
- Demonstrate critical‐thinking skills while processing educational communications, perspectives, policies, and/or procedures.
- Categorize risks to safety, health, and the environment in education and training settings.
- Demonstrate group‐collaboration skills to enhance professional education and training practice.
- Analyze ethical and legal policies of professional education and training practice.
- Describe legal rights that apply to individuals and practitioners within education and training settings.
- Define state and federal professional development requirements to maintain employment and to advance in an education and training career.
- Apply organizational skills and logic to enhance professional education and training practice.
- Demonstrate group‐management skills that enhance professional education and training practice.