Integrated Science 1
Integrated Science 1 is a science course designed for high school students needing an entry-level science course covering basic concepts found in Earth Science, Biology, Astronomy, Physics and General Inquiry. Topics included in this study are:
- Energy and matter
- Earth science
Throughout the course, students will have opportunities to observe simulations, investigate ideas, and solve problems–both on screen and away from the computer.
The course seeks to help students expand their knowledge and skills so that they may achieve the following goals:
- Gain an understanding of foundational concepts in Earth Science, Astronomy, Biology and Chemistry.
- Make careful observations of the surrounding environment.
- Analyze problems and solutions scientifically.
- Integrate science knowledge with real world situations at local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Appreciate the impact of science discovery on everyday life.
- Use their senses for observation of the world around them.
- Define science and describe its history.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various changes in matter.
- Describe elements and compounds in terms of atoms and molecules.
- Classify different animals using taxonomy.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of molecular structure as it relates to organic compounds.
- Use a microscope to study microscopic organisms.
- Describe cells, their different parts, and the function of a cell.