As students work through the course, they will learn about the many aspects of physical fitness, including basic nutrition, the importance of flexibility, cardiovascular health, muscle and strength training, and realistic goal setting. Students will also be introduced to what good health is, why good health is important, and what students should do in order to achieve good health. Along the way, students will be required to maintain and submit an activity log in order to measure progress in course exercises, as well as in personal fitness goals.
Upon completion of HOPE – Physical Education, students should possess the knowledge and skills needed to do the following:
- Analyze the key components of successful physical activity and use this analysis to determine if a program is reasonable and effective.
- Describe the three main types of physical activity that should be included in an exercise regime and the health benefits of each.
- Perform basic fitness exercises associated with the three main types of physical activity discussed in this course.
- Identify the main motivational strategies that can be used to help the student continue in positive fitness habits once this course is completed.
- Demonstrate an awareness of health as it applies to their own bodies, minds, and emotions.
- Demonstrate an awareness of health as it applies to their living environments.
- Identify the components of a healthy lifestyle and set reasonable goals to achieve a lifestyle of wellness.
- Understand that incorporating sound health practices creates a lifestyle of moderation and wellness.
- Understand the responsibility of properly caring for their bodies.
- Describe health as it applies to broader society, the world, and their own responsibility to stimulate good health around them.