Fundamentals of Digital Media
This course gives an overview of the different types of digital media and how they are used in the world today. Students examine the impact that digital media has on culture and lifestyle. The course reviews the basic concepts for creating effective digital media and introduces a number of different career paths that relate to digital media.
Students will examine some tools used to create digital media and discuss best practices in the creating of digital media. This includes an overview of the process used to create new media pieces as well as the basics concepts of project management.
In the course, students will examine the use of social media, digital media in advertising, digital media on the World Wide Web, digital media in business, gaming and simulations, e-commerce, and digital music and movies. Students will review ethics and laws that impact digital media use or creation.
- Discuss different types of digital media.
- Explain the value of using online video and audio for business.
- Discuss careers in digital media.
- Compare and contrast digital media and traditional forms of media.
- Discuss living in a digital society and the changes resulting from it.
- Discuss project management as a career.
- Describe the evolution of social media.
- Discuss ethics and social media.
- Identify some challenges that the gaming industry will face in the future.
- Compare the different types of computer languages.
- Determine the role digital media plays in globalization.
- Explain the limitations of doing business on the web.
- Describe some different laws that relate to digital media.
- Explain the cannons of journalism.
- Describe some expected changes in social media and advertising.
- Determine what type of schooling is necessary for their chosen career.